A new course that is aimed primarily at improving sight reading for singers. Bath is full of wonderful choirs and has a long tradition of choral singing. The great thing about singing is that anyone can get involved and find their place in a choir, regardless of musical ability.
However, at some point it is normal for many singers to aspire to improve their music reading abilities. It seems a daunting task at first, but the rewards for learning even a basic level of sight reading are huge! You will be able to look at your music before singing a note and have a rough idea of the shape of a musical line, or perhaps even take your starting note from the accompaniment. These are all invaluable tools that give you not only an head start on your music, but give you more satisfaction from learning and performing.
I teach sight singing courses over 4 week blocks, with a 1 hour lesson per week. Lessons take place during the daytime at Nexus Methodist Church, Claremont. Booking is essential to secure a place on the course.
Topics covered include:
- Hearing a note and singing the same note back at correct pitch
- Basic music pattern recognition
- Music theory to understand what all the different symbols are telling you
- Note reading on the staff and strategies to learn these notes quickly
This course is aimed specifically for singers who have very little music reading abilities. If you already have some understanding of sight reading, but want to develop your skills further to more advanced levels, you can get in touch with for a 1 to 1 lesson, or organise a group of similar level singers to book an intermediate to advanced level course.
Booking now for March 2018: special introductory rate of £30 for 4 weeks.
How to get to Nexus Methodist Church
Nexus Methodist Church, Claremont, Eastbourne Avenue, Bath, BA1 6EN
- On foot: At the eastern end of Camden Road, on the corner opposite Fairfield Park Health Centre.
- By bus: The number 6 bus route both leave from Bath town centre and take you almost exactly opposite Nexus Methodist Church. From the town centre the bus takes approximately 10-15 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Car parking: Street parking (please note Camden Road operates a Resident Parking Permit scheme from 8am – 7pm every day)